2019 Volunteer Opportunities will be available in January 2019
2018 Volunteer Opportunities
The ABFF is seeking talented, experienced, professional and enthusiastic individuals to work as volunteers at the 2018 festival. Volunteers are needed to assist in all areas including registration, social media, events, festival management and press.
There are some exciting benefits to working on the ABFF such as being among the first audiences to see world premieres of the best new independent films to hob nobbing with celebrities and industry insiders. But the real benefits are the connections and lifelong friendships formed with fellow staff and volunteers. If you’re ready for a one-of-a-kind experience, read on and apply to join us in Miami Beach June 13-17, 2018.
- Complete the online application by March 9, 2018
- Select a level of commitment. Volunteers can choose between two levels of commitment—full time or part time. All full time volunteers must commit to a minimum of eight (8) hours per day and part time volunteers, four (4) hours per day.
- Provide their own transportation/flight, lodging and meals
- Arrive in Miami no later than Monday, June 11 at 2 PM for pre-festival orientation and training
- Be 21 years of age at the time of application submission
- Have the ability to receive, read, and respond to email, our primary mode of communication
We recognize volunteers are essential to the festival. As a token of our appreciation volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Festival Access: Volunteer Credentials allow access to all festival events, not including master classes or private hosted events (similar credential costs $400+). Volunteers are welcome to attend events during the times they are not scheduled to work. Entry to some events are based on seating availability.
- Festival T-Shirt: T-Shirts are to be worn with Khaki bottoms- pants or skirt during shifts.
- Party: Ticket to the Staff and Volunteer Pre-Festival Mixer on Tuesday, June 12, 2018.
Volunteer Opportunities at the Festival
Volunteer positions are available in the following departments:
Festival Operations, Production and Events Department
The operations and production department is the behind-the-scenes team that works with all Festival departments to set up, maintain, and break down the Festival. As a volunteer you could work in the areas of festival management, seating, event activation, screenings and talk back sessions.
Sponsor & Client Services Department
The sponsor and client services department is the team that works with all of the festival sponsors and partners. This is one of if not the most important department in the festival.
Programming & Filmmaker Relations Department
This department is responsible for all of the panels, workshops and films at the festival. They work closely with the filmmakers and talent who participate in the festival.
The talent department manages and coordinates all logistics for the talent participating in ABFF. Responsibilities in this department include distribution of festival credentials, creating and reviewing festival itineraries, scheduling interviews with press, wrangling talent to walk the red carpet, escorting talent to their seats at events and other office duties as needed.
The press department selects and manages all credential press outlets. Volunteers in this department will check in and distribute credentials, answer questions, track press coverage, work in the office, wrangle camera crews and assist with press seating at events.
Registration, Hospitality and Festival Communication
This department is the festival’s home base. It is responsible for attendee check-in, onsite sales and information for the entire festival. This department is integral in assisting attendees with navigating the festival and helping to provide the ultimate experience. Positions in this department include registration check in, festival concierge and street promotions.
Social Media Team
The social media team is responsible for sharing the festival experience with the world through social media. Volunteers in this department will curate content and post for the festival’s social media platforms.
Front of House and Theatre Operations Department
This department operates each theatre and event venue, from ticket-taking to crowd control, as an organized and cohesive team. Positions in this department include theatre ushers, line ambassador and door ticket takers.
Technology Services Department
This department is the driving force behind all Festival events ensuring that the content for all festival programs is of the highest caliber and quality.
This department is the hub for volunteers to come for questions, assignments and credentials. The volunteer department manages volunteer shifts and schedules and communicates important information to all staff daily.
How To Volunteer
- Complete questionnaire and e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, by March 9, 2018, along with your resume and a cover letter (no more than 100 words) explaining why we should select you to join the ABFF volunteer team. In the email subject line please include the department you are applying for.
We receive hundreds of applications, so we will ONLY contact you if we are interested in conducting a phone interview.
- Once you are interviewed, you will receive an email indicating if you have been selected. At that time you will receive your specific volunteer assignment– including your role, responsibilities and work schedule. All volunteers will receive their assignments no later than April 5, 2018.
Things to Know
- Volunteers are REQUIRED to attend a volunteer orientation in Miami on Monday, June 11, 2018, 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM and Team Break Out Meetings, Tuesday, June 12, 2018 from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- T-shirts and credentials will be distributed at the volunteer orientation.
- ABFF Volunteers and staff are required to wear the staff T-shirt (provided by ABFF) and beige khaki pants, shorts or skirts while working their shift
- As an ABFF Volunteer you are the face of the Festival and as such you should be professional and courteous at all times
- No photographs with talent onsite while on shift
- No handing out scripts, resumes or business cards while on shift
- You may be standing for long periods of time so wear comfortable shoes and stay hydrated
- The Festival does not provide meals for volunteers so be sure to eat a healthy meal prior to your shift and bring a snack
- Do not wear your volunteer t-shirt while not on shift
- A limited number of special rate hotel rooms ($159.00 per night) are available for volunteers through ABFF Housing. You will be provided with that information once you are selected as a volunteer.