- 20 minutes maximum runtime inclusive of credits.
- Entrants must be 18 years old or older.
- Films must have been directed and/or written by a person of African descent.
- Competition is open to U.S. and international entries.
- Films must be in the English language or contain English-language subtitles.
- Films must have completed post-production on or after January 1, 2020.
- Films must not have been previously submitted to the HBO Short Film Competition under its current or any former title, or in any form that is, substantially similar to or derivative of the current film.
- Films must not have had any previous exhibition on broadcast or cable or online.
- Films must not have been previously exhibited on, or licensed for exhibition on, any form of television prior to the scheduled ABFF, June 15-19, 2022.
- Entrant shall not permit the film to be exhibited or enter into a license or make any agreement to exhibit the film, on any form of television.
- Employees of ABFF Ventures, HBO and any other WarnerMedia entity (including permanent and temporary employees), their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household are not eligible to participate.
- Filmmakers working on any upcoming or existing projects within the WarnerMedia entity are not eligible.
- Filmmakers selected as a finalist in ABFF’s Short Film Competition previously are not eligible.
Each submission entails the following:
Submit your film and information online via FilmFreeway.com. In addition to the information required on page 1 of this form, your submission must include the following:
- Film Synopsis
- Photo still from the film
- Filmmaker (director and/or writer and producer) bio
- Filmmaker (director and/or writer and producer) photo
- PDF of your executed HBO Short Film Competition Release downloadable from ABFF.com. Please download, sign and scan a digital copy to be included with your submission.
Payment of the submission fee online is required at the time of submission.
Deadline: February 28, 2022