Documentary Features: Nonfiction films intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction, education, or creating and maintaining a historical record.
- Film must have a 60-minute minimum runtime
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Writer, director or producer must be a person of African descent, or the film content must have a multicultural perspective.
- Competition is open to U.S. and international entries.
- Films must be in the English language or contain English-language subtitles.
- Films must have completed principal photography on or after January 1, 2018.
- While it is our preference to exhibit films in this competitive section that are world premieres, Documentaries that have previously screened at up to two (2) other festivals are eligible for this section.
- Films that have been, or will be, broadcast or streamed on television or the internet, or released via any other public distribution platform (theatrical, Blu-ray, DVD, VOD, etc.) in any country prior to June 17, 2019, are not eligible for this category.
- Jury Award – Best Documentary (Prize $2,500)