2020 Volunteer Opportunity
Want to be a part of the American Black Film Festival? Volunteer for ABFF 2020, June 17-21!
Volunteers are an essential part of the festival. We rely on hundreds of men and women who generously dedicate their time and commitment to the ABFF. While we welcome volunteers from all over the country, most are Miami-based since the festival does not provide travel and lodging. Each year, our volunteers (most of whom return year after year!) help to create a global platform to present and celebrate content created by and about people of African descent.
We are looking for volunteers to assist in all areas of the festival — from operations, sponsorship and registration to supporting events, press and talent relations. Of course, there are plenty of exciting benefits — like being around the COOLEST PEOPLE at celebrity talks and seeing some of the HOTTEST CONTENT at Hollywood premieres! But that’s not all — the real benefit is being part of a community that is recognizing and celebrating our culture. If you are ready for a one-of-a-kind experience, plan to join us in Miami Beach this June!
- Complete the online application by January 15, 2020.
- Volunteers provide their own transportation/flight, lodging and meals.
- Select a daily shift. Volunteers can choose between various shifts. All volunteers must commit to a minimum of eight (8) hours per day.
- We receive hundreds of applications, so we will ONLY contact you if we are interested in conducting an interview. All volunteers who are chosen to be interviewed will be notified by February 15, 2020.
- Once you have been interviewed, you will receive an email within 2-3 weeks indicating whether you have been selected. Upon receiving written acceptance, you will also receive your “volunteer assignment” — including responsibilities and work schedule.
- T-shirts and credentials will be distributed at the volunteer orientation.
- As an ABFF Volunteer you are the face of the festival and as such you should be professional and courteous at all times.
- No photographs with talent on-site while on shift.
- No handing out scripts, résumés or business cards while on shift.
- You may be standing for long periods of time, so comfortable shoes are required and staying hydrated is essential.
- The festival does not provide meals for volunteers. Refreshments and snacks will be available in the Volunteer Hub.
- A limited number of special-rate hotel rooms will be available for volunteers through ABFF Housing. You will be provided with that information once you are selected as a volunteer.