2023 Volunteer Opportunities
Want to be a part of the American Black Film Festival? Volunteer for the 27th annual ABFF, June 14-18!
Volunteers are an essential part of the festival. We rely on hundreds of men and women who generously dedicate their time and commitment to the ABFF. While we welcome volunteers from all over the country, most are Miami-based since the festival does not provide travel or lodging. Each year, our volunteers (most of whom return year after year!) help to create a global platform to present and celebrate content created by and about people of African descent.
We are looking for volunteers to assist in all areas of the festival — from operations, sponsorship and registration to supporting events, press and talent relations. Of course, there are plenty of exciting benefits — like being around the COOLEST PEOPLE at celebrity talks and seeing some of the HOTTEST CONTENT at Hollywood premieres! But that’s not all — the real benefit is being part of a community that is recognizing and celebrating our culture. If you are ready for a one-of-a-kind experience, plan to join us in Miami Beach in June!
- Complete the online application by Friday, February 24, 2023.
- Volunteers provide their own transportation/flight, lodging and meals.
- Select a time of day for commitment. Volunteers can choose what time of day is preferable for them––any time of day, day time, or evening.
- We receive hundreds of applications, so we will ONLY contact you if we are interested in conducting an interview. All volunteers who are chosen to be interviewed will be notified on or before Friday, March 31, 2023.
- Once you have been interviewed, you will receive an email within 2-3 weeks indicating whether you have been selected. Upon receiving written acceptance, you will also receive your “volunteer assignment” — including responsibilities and work schedule.
- T-shirts and credentials will be distributed at the volunteer orientation.
- As an ABFF Volunteer you are the face of the festival and as such you should be professional and courteous at all times.
- No photographs with talent on-site while on shift.
- No handing out scripts, résumés or business cards while on shift.
- You may be standing for long periods of time, so wear comfortable shoes and stay hydrated.
- The festival does not provide meals for volunteers. Refreshments and snacks will be available in the Volunteer Hub.
- A limited number of special-rate hotel rooms may be available for volunteers through ABFF Housing. If a discounted rate is secured, you will be provided with that information once you are selected as a volunteer.
- Arrive in Miami at the location designated in your acceptance letter no later than Sunday, June 11, at 12 p.m. for pre-festival orientation and training.
- Be available to work the entire festival in-person, June 14-18.
- Be 21 years of age at the time of application submission.
- Have the ability to receive, read and respond to email, our primary mode of communication.
- Wear the staff t-shirt (provided by ABFF) and beige khaki pants, shorts or skirt while working their shift.
- Not wear staff t-shirts when not working.
We recognize volunteers are essential to the festival. As a token of our appreciation volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Festival Access: Volunteer Credentials allow access to all festival events, NOT including master classes or private hosted events (similar credentials cost $600+). Volunteers are welcome to attend events during the times they are not scheduled to work. Entry to some events is based on seating availability.
- Festival T-shirt: T-shirts are to be worn with khaki bottoms — pants, shorts or skirt — during shifts (no ultra-mini or daisy duke shorts permitted).
- Refreshments: We offer light snacks and refreshments in our Volunteer Hub for volunteers to grab-and-go when not on shift. These snacks are not meant to replace meals, which volunteers are responsible for providing themselves.
- Daily Parking: Vouchers or a stipend will be provided to working volunteers.
Volunteer positions are available in the following departments:
Operations & Logistics
Assist with daily operations, administrative duties, and coordinate logistics throughout the Festival.
Assist head of sponsorship and provide client services for corporate partners.
Support the production and talent teams to ensure a seamless execution of screenings and events.
Assist with logistics, credential distribution, wrangling, and navigating talent participants to designated events.
Help with press check-in, office duties, credential distribution, and press communications. Liaise with talent team to arrange onsite interviews.
Registration & Customer Service
Provide customer service and general Festival information to patrons during check-in and on-site sales.
Provide coverage including stories, live streams, posts and video content for all ABFF’s social media and marketing platforms.
Front of House/Line Ambassador
Provide operational support through crowd control, collection, and accounting of tickets/passes at all venues.